Data Privacy Day is January 28, 2019
Monday Jan 14th, 2019
Data Privacy Day, held annually in the United States on Jan. 28, is an extension of Data Protection Day celebrated in the European Union. This year’s theme, “Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data and Enabling Trust,” commemorates the 1981 signing of the first legally binding, international treaty dealing with privacy and data protection.
The following Noteworthy Fast Facts about Data Privacy Day 2018 were highlighted on the Stay Safe Online website (https://staysafeonline.org)
- 595 organizations registered as Data Privacy Day 2018 Champions – an increase of 32% over last year’s 450. The individual Champions program grew as well, with a total of 620 supporters in comparison to 213 in 2017 – a 191% increase.
- In 2018, there were 926 stories about Data Privacy Day – representing a growth of 52% compared to 611 stories the prior year.
- The Data Privacy Day hashtags (#PrivacyAware and #DataPrivacyDay) were tweeted 33,527 times in January 2018 – a 32% increase over January 2017.
- #ChatSTC – the hashtag for NCSA’s Twitter chats – was tweeted 6,535 times during the month of January 2018 – a 56% increase over January 2017.
- The 2018 Data Privacy Day event was streamed live from LinkedIn’s headquarters in San Francisco via YouTube, Periscope and Facebook Live. The stream has been watched more than 5,500 times on YouTube and Facebook Live. On Periscope, there were more than 6,200 viewers.
To learn more or get additional information about Data Privacy Day visit: https://staysafeonline.org/data-privacy-day/about