Stay Secure for the Holiday
Monday Dec 12th, 2016
Happy Holidays from the MOIT InfoSec Team!
Stay Safe On-Line!
During this and every holiday season utilize the below listed hints and tips to ensure that your cyber experiences are safe and secure.
1. Use strong passwords. Change any default passwords on any device to ones that would be difficult for someone to guess. Make sure you use different passwords for different applications, programs and devices.
2. Screen Lock all devise. Always active the screen lock function when any device not in use. Never walk away from your desk without locking the computer screen.
3. Keep software up to date. Install updates for apps and your mobile device’s operating system as soon as they are available. Keeping software up to date helps prevent attackers from being able to take advantage of known vulnerabilities.
4. Disable remote connectivity. Some mobile devices are equipped with wireless technologies, such as Bluetooth, that can connect to other devices. Disable these features when they are not in use.
5. Be careful what you post and when. Wait to post pictures from trips and events so that people do not know where to find you. Posting where you are also reminds others that your house is empty.
6. Guard your mobile device. In order to prevent theft and unauthorized access, never leave your mobile device unattended in a public place and lock your device when it is not in use.
7. Know your apps. Be sure to review and understand the details of an app before downloading and installing it on any device. Be aware that apps may request access to your COB computer or telephone; personnel computers and mobile devices; location and personal information.
Keep in mind to delete any old apps that you do not use regularly to increase your security.
The Internet is a shared resource and securing it is Our Shared Responsibility. You can get additional tips and hints on how to remain safe on-line by visiting: http://www.staysafeonline.org